Today at 10:00 I put myself (and my wife) into debt until the year 2039. After 60 minutes, 27 signatures, and 14 initials, we had a bottle of champagne, a huge gift basket of goodies, and two electric garage door openers.
I’m just about to crash for the night, but first I wanted to share with you some thoughts I had throughout today, my first day of home ownership.
15 Things to do after buying a house
- Call a locksmith and change all the outside door locks. You don’t know if somebody’s buddy still has a key, and might decide to let himself in and crash on the couch.
- Change utilites to your name: gas, electric, water, sewer, garbage, telephone
- Visit the post office, and pick up a change of address packet. Fill it out.
- Make sure you have a pizza delivery phone number programmed into your speed dial.
- Buy a big pack of Toilet Paper, and place next to a working toilet.
- Check the batteries in your new smoke detectors.
- Map out the nearest Ace Hardware, Lowes, and Home Depot, and Gas Station.
- Set-up high speed internet access.
- Bring your cell phone wall charger, so you don’t have to sit in the car and talk while the phone charges from the lighter adaptor.
- Change the Garage door opener codes.
- Find out what day is garbage day, and set your iCal alarm to the night before.
- Buy a lawnmower, and push it over the grass every week so the homeowner association doesn’t get on your case.
- Get a set of basic tools: Hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, tape measure, ladder, and putty scraper. No need to go overboard right now.
- Get some basic cleaning stuff, including soap and paper towels to put by the sink. So you can wash and dry your hands as necessary.
- Finally, you might want to pick up a toilet plunger, just in case.
- BONUS – Leave a review for your agent on Zillow
What did you do after you bought your house? I’d love to know. Share your thoughts in the comments below.