I don’s know about you, but in addition to having my house look nice, I like for everything to work. Sadly that isn’t always the case. AmIright?
The house is never perfect, and there are always 101 things on my honey-do list that need constant attention. Plus, I’m sure you will agree, everyone and everything wants our attention. I’m 2 for 2 aren’t I?
For the last few weeks (ahem – months), the switch for the garbage disposal next to the sink has been on the fritz. It would work, sometimes, but only if you jiggled it, or sort of leaned on in in a certain direction when you toggled it on.
Just so you know it’s the switch on the right – closest to the solar hula girl we got when we were in Hawaii last time. The other switch is for our dishwasher. Yep, we have a separate switch that can turn on, and off the dishwashwer independent of any controls on the actual machine. But that’s a different story.
These kinds of things drive me crazy. You expect them to work, and they just don’t. I’ve got a few of these things around the house – stuff like the front porch light that only seems to work when it’s cold outside. Or the little piece of baseboard that always seems to fall down because it wasn’t nailed in 100%
There’s no need to get into all the details about how to change an electrical switch – there are hundreds of useful YouTube videos for that. I’ll just share some sexy photos from the process – starting with the new flush mount switches and new cover plate.
The whole process took about an hour – it would have been faster had each switch not been on it’s own circuit. And the overall TOTAL cost was about $6. Each switch was $2, and the cover plate was a buck and a half, and now they also match the rest of the switches in our house.
I didn’t opt for the heavy duty switches which are reccomended for this area – because soon we will be remodeling our kitchen. Obviously, as you can see from the oudtated 4×4 white tiles, and original laminate countertops.